Saturday, September 4, 2021

back 2 school.

This blog post is brought to you by a mom who just sent 3 of 5 kids BACK TO SCHOOL! I physically walked them across the street (man, I'm gonna miss the ease of living SO close to their school!) and took the obligatory photos - with the obligatory moaning and groaning;).


I've written and rewritten this post a few times already. Same old conundrum: how much to say; what not to say; what do I want to say.
These days I feel like I can relate just about anything back to Covid - right or wrong/good or bad. It's not that much of a stretch with everything that's going on, currently, and the kids going back to school. I'm sure some of you are sick of hearing about it. Some of you may not even think it's that big of a deal. Some even think I'm wrong in my beliefs. I get it...I've been each one of those as well, at one point.
But here we go anyway:).


Our kids are back to school. Only because masks aren't being mandated and only because St. Marys is an option for us. Otherwise, I was eager and ready to homeschool - which is still a very real option down the line but we'll cross that bridge if and when we get to it

Man. I'm proud of these little buggers:). Not only have they homeschooled AND done virtual in the last 1-1/2 years but the've endured a mom on a mission some days and one fending off some major demons on others. We've spent almost every waking hour together since we pulled them from school in March2020 but I think we were all ready for the chance to give it one more go in-person.


I would have never have guessed I'd have given a shit about masks. But over the last 1-1/2 years, I went from not allowing my family and closest friends into my home...to birthing my baby in my living room, surrounded by them (thank GOD) and showing up at school board meetings to get kids out of masks.
The mask debate has become my 'gateway drug'. First, it's masks. Then, it's school board meetings. Next, conversations with the local Health Department. More recently, calling all 10 libraries in Clark County and some really good email exchanges with the local bus company. 
Some people are going to show up for the budget. Some will show up for the curriculum. Some put their energy into the concessions, while others take charge of the donations. Some are vocal and some are quiet...some keep the focus within their home and some start petitions. Every one of us is playing a vital role.


Jacob and I are new to this school stuff. Technically, we're only abouttttt 5 years in. And maybe that's too long for it to have taken for us to realize we needed to - that it was 100% necessary - to be involved in what was and is happening in these kids' schools. 
We started attending the School Board Meetings because of how we felt about them being forced to wear masks but we will continue to go because there is a lot more work to be done and we want to be a part of that. 

I want my kids to realize that not everyone will think the things they're involved in, passionate about or fighting for, matter. They might even believe what you're fighting for is a waste of time or plain wrong. Get involved anyway. Fight anyway.
Thankfully, YOU get to decide what and why something is important to you. YOU get to chose your line in the sand, the hill you'd like to try dying on. Not everyone will agree with you and even those who do, may not have it in them to meet you where you're at. That's OKAY. Follow your heart and let them follow theirs. Follow your gut and your instincts. Stay in your lane. You're needed there. 

Love over Fear.
Kill them with Kindness.
Don't say the FWord (that one's for Rocky;).




the week prior to school starting, we had a little Target night to grab last minute supplies:)


1st Day of School

Ike made an appearance in each photo - screaming/crying in the background because he wanted to go to school too!!!;)





day 2:)

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful 
than the risk it took to blossom.
- Anais Nin

Go get um', Smiths:)💛

No comments:

Post a Comment